Monday, July 24, 2006

Laments of the Civil Service

2 months into my full time job as a Deputy Manpower Principal Staff Officer, and surely its time to take stock of things. Similar to my laments in the previous blog post, I'm extending the 70% happiness blabberings further.

I appreciate this job for the fact that it gives me some form of independence to take initiatives in ehnahcing the well being of employees of this arm of the civil service. In a nutshell, I have some freedom in implementing welfare initiatives, counsel troubled employees, as well as grooming them for higher appointments.

But in spite of these simple yet gratifying moments, I always do feel that working in the civil service reflects working within a straight-jacket culture. The inflexibility, fire-fights and lack of focus in some aspects of this organization does seem to have a polarizing effect on myself.

Why is that so? I'm never a conformist, never a person who lets systems, people or the environment dictate me (if I've the choice), and I ALWAYS want to be in control of my own fate. In a nutshell, I live by the margins of the organization, questioning the fundamental tenats and how its people live by these tenats. Sadly, half the time, you'll see firefights by unintellectual people, who are a simple waste of tax-payers money. Just imagine talking to a wall? You'll just get a blank space....only this time, the walls make a hell lot of noise...

Sometimes I wonder, why is it that I'm increasingly tolerant of incompetence in the civil service? An I being arrogant here? Trying to marginalize the less educated? Definitely not. There are those in the civil service who serve with pride and execute professionalism, but having said that, I emphasize again, the general rule is that most are just there for the regular dole, adding no value to the organization, or the well being of its people and culture.

Harsh as I might sound, I think one can only understand the extend of my angst if you're working in the same environment as me. But in any case, I do look forward to having a good laugh as the next person in my organization who starts to do some "fire-fighting". Adieus!