Thursday, July 21, 2005

Governors Island, New York City


Almost half a year ago I had this dream of working in downtown Manhattan...living it large, as I call it, but over time (rather, at the last minute), I was reassigned to Baltimore, and finally Washington DC. I wanted to really be able to influence and leavae my footprints on the urban landscape of Manhattan NYC. With the reassignment to Washington DC, my hopes were dashed, crushed, stampled upon. But when I least expected, I was deeply involved with a Governors Island, New York City, budgeted at more than half a billion USD

A couple of weeks ago, we were shortlisted and jubilantly, we celebrated. Looking back, I am still astounded by how we could assemble this winning team of folks who really have muscles, people and organizations which we always hear in the news making waves. More familiar names would be Ted Turner's Turner Construction, Marriott Hotel, etc. There were a total of 24 partners which we assembled from scratch over 3 weeks. And yesterday, 15 of us sat in front of the interview board who shortlisted us in the subsidiary of Empire State Development Corporation. It was so surreal...I could never imagine myself being upfront and talking to these big boys, but after the past 2 months...I've learnt one thing..."the unimaginable is possible..."

That brings me to my job for the past few months. Truely, being in a medium sized understaffed organization has definitely been a great learning experience. It's demanding, yet I must say, it's the best way to learn. I was able to be totally upfront in every single situation...literally...the REAL DEAL. YOU dream the deals, YOU do the deals, YOU follow up on the deals...Very satisfying, and it has reinforced my character once again...INSATIABLE AMBITIONS...Right now, I feel a need to keep my feet firmly on the ground, heads up, and chin level over the next fews year. Calculated risks will have to be taken, but not over carelessness. And my ego will have to be kept in check. The successful grounds which I have achieved now is relative, and if I ever succumb to arrogance which is evident in certain quarters of my cohort, please...slap me.

Until then, I hope in 5 years I'll be able to see the baby which I've played a part in nurturing fruititously grow into a full fledged NYC icon, in the backdrop of the Statue of Liberty and the Manhattan Skyline...