Monday, June 06, 2005

11th May – Montreal Romance…

Last night we slept at a local Day’s Inn at Trenton, apparently at an industrial area. It was a little edgy for me, and with 6-8 burly Dutch military personnel who checked in too…well we basically barricaded ourselves in the room..haha.

After breakfast, we drove up to Montreal past noon. It was a crazy place to drove with confusing roads. And eventually found a parking lot before walking around. It’s a fantastic place…with colonial architecture, street side alfresco dining, stone pavements…very much European flavoured. I must say, whenever I reminisce of this summer vacation, an image of strolling along the warm Montreal weather would creep up into my mind. At nightfall approached, we decided to have dinner at this French restaurant called Republique. Cosy décor, soft amber lighting, great service, and definitely the best food I’ve ever had in my life. We ordered sautéed duck which the waitress said was the restaurant’s specialty…my gosh, the taste was truly unforgettable. Thinly glazed with honey and herbs, as I bit into it, the tenderness of the meat gently sunk into my palettes. It was fresh and it’s juices were so well sealed inside…I also ordered salmon which was definitely the best I ever had…usually restaurants overcook salmon, or that they are not fresh, but this restaurant’s cooked it to perfection. It was not too dry, just moist enough to seal the juices which bursts with flavour. The rice pilaf was aromatic too…Truly, I’de eat there every week if I had the money. I’ve finally experienced the gastronomical wonders of French cuisine!

We then took a light strool to the car and decided to drive down south towards NYC and slept along at a motel along the way to save driving time tomorrow. The romantic charm of Montreal will be remembered for a long time to come..what a day 