Monday, April 18, 2005

A Penchant for Aesthetic Indulgence

I believe that as the day passes for me, I feel that I'm living each day more fruitfully with this penchant for aesthetical pleasures. A couple of things gave me the inspiration to write this particular blog. First, about the people closest to me. Daniel (Jazz trumpet extraordinaire / Architectural practitioner) seemed to be exploring new sounds with the trumpet by doing a drum & bazz number in the Heineken Thirst 2005 DC competition. Also, he's managed to play for "The Sound of Music" was really wonderful. Alice also caught up with a Grammy award winning latin jazz flutist. She sounded so inspired after watching the up close performance...interesting as I could feel the vibes in her that she was ready to take her trumpet playing to another level, something which I seldom see in her.

As for myself, I've been increasingly over the past 5 years or so moving towards more abstract and more creative sounds. Furthermore, subjecting myself to an addiction towards the aesthetic pleasures of sight through my travels, photography and increasingly, various art pieces; Sound through exploring more abstract jazz sounds and feeling more into the dynamics of a composition, dissecting every note / instrument; and finally smell and taste through daily cookings.

Most interestingly, what I term "spatio-emotional pleasures". I go to places / spaces, taking a quiet solidary moment to use my senses to "feel" the places with whoever I'm with. Most recent ones are the Washington Cherry Blossoms Festival and the Carnegie Mellon Uni Festival and the drive to Falling Water.

Once again, I feel that in a lot of situations, we are guilty of being caught up being disillusioned in treating ourselves to superficial pleasures. The ownership of an iPod compared to the authentic ripples of a waterfall? I like both...but the latter is timeless...engraved into the soundscapes and memories of one's mind.

I feel happy for Alice, Dan and myself for sharing a common interest towards the aesthetics, for one thing's for sure, it feeds our souls. Think about it...